Leadercast is the largest leadership conference in the world.
Its speakers are world renown. They have a thing or two to say about becoming an amazing leader.
Enjoy our SVP of Marketing's top takeaways:
1. Purpose is always found just across the border from “what’s in it for me?”
- Purpose has a price.
- Purpose is a path to meaning.
2. The point of purpose is to determine how you will serve others.
- Look at everything through the lens of means, not through the lens of an end.
- Pay attention to what stirs your heart. Purpose is often found between broken heart, opportunity, and skill.
- Surround yourself with on-purpose people. Our friends determine the quality and direction of our life.
3. Are you willing to be a means and not an end?
- Meaning and purpose begin when you devote yourself to others.
- Bonus: Read "Dare to Serve" by Cheryl Bachelder
Will you be the reason for something instead of the something?
4. You must align your purpose with your actions.
- Take calculated risks.
- Be bold.
5. Little moments create big outcomes in our lives.
- Success can be powered by problems.
- With a well-defined problem, solutions are clear.
6. "People follow leaders who clarify the best."
The brain has two purposes:
- Survive and thrive.
- Conserve calories.
Communicate how you can help clients survive and thrive.
If you confuse, you lose.
7. There are three ways to create meaning:
- Create. Create what you wish existed. You don’t have to start a business to create meaning. When you create solutions you find value in your work.
- Learn. Is there a mile out there you haven’t run yet? Be unwilling to settle for less.
- Finish. There is great value in finishing. Execute with purpose, not perfection.
8. Employees need to feel like they are making a contribution.
- Purpose is about making a contribution even in small ways.
- It doesn’t have to always be about something really big.
Are you making a contribution?
9. Leadership is about lifting others up.
- “Us” is always better than “me.”
- Be intellectually humble. Ask others when you don't know the answer. It's okay.
10. When making a decision, consider 10:
- 10 minutes
- 10 months
- 10 years
What will life look like across these timeframes?
11. Be a leader who steps up first.
- People will only be great if they have clear expectations.
- Wise leaders adjust themselves to the truth. Correct a wise person and he will become wiser still.
12. Sometimes you can find your purpose on the other side of pain.
- Don't let dreams die just because something bad happens.
- If you want something, work hard to get it.
13. Celebrate small victories in life.
- Never despise small beginnings.
- Leadership is a gift.