It's an interesting question, right?
I invested nearly 42 years of my life without really thinking through this profound, potentially life-changing topic. There were certainly things I believed, but I had never taken the time to capture any of it on paper.
But then something changed. A good friend to Huddle, Jack Williams, delivered a presentation last year that addressed his “I Believe” list. He has worked through his list over the years and reviews it weekly, allowing him to see where he is winning and where he needs work.
Jack’s presentation motivated me to explore my own beliefs.
What do I believe?
Why do I believe those things?
And how is my life any different because of the things I believe?
This journey of discovery lead me to create my first “I Believe” list in November 2016. I continued to work through and refine it, creating an updated version in January 2017.
So here’s how this works for me. I review the entire list once a week (okay, I forget some of the time), and I focus on one specific “I Believe” statement weekly. I just write the statement on an index card and place it in a spot where I can review it consistently. These simple practices allow me to consistently measure how I’m doing against the things I believe.
I want to share my “I Believe” list with you in this blog post. Buckle up, because I have 52 “I Believe” statements!
To be clear, I’m not asking you to believe what I believe. And it’s okay if we don’t believe the same things.
We can still be friendly, right?
I’m simply sharing my list with a goal of encouraging you to create your own list, review it weekly, and more closely align your actions with your beliefs. This will put you on a path to living with meaningful purpose.
And who knows, creating your own “I Believe” list just may change your life too.
John Vaughn’s I Believe List
1. I believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and He is my Lord and Savior.
2. I believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God and has complete authority.
3. I believe in growing spiritually and investing meaningful time in God’s Word.
4. I believe Jesus loves me, God is in control, and my value comes from Him alone.
5. I believe I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
6. I believe the quality of my personal relationship with Christ is my responsibility.
7. I believe when I align my priorities with God, He will show up in dramatic ways.
8. I believe God has called me to leadership and I should lead from the front.
9. I believe in using my talents for God and the advancement of His kingdom, with a focus on my spiritual gift of encouraging others.
10. I believe in the power of prayer.
11. I believe in “God appointments.”
12. I believe “Success” is daily living in God’s good, pleasing, and perfect will.
13. I believe I am the Spiritual leader of my household.
14. I believe in being faithful to Angie.
15. I believe in showing Angie the attention I gave her when we were dating.
16. I believe in speaking Angie’s love languages of quality time and gifts.
17. I believe in praying for Angie and my marriage every day.
18. I believe Angie wants a Godly husband.
19. I believe Angie gets much of her self-worth from me.
20. I believe that vulnerability leads to amazing relationships.
21. I believe my “Why” is to point people to truth.
22. I believe my character and integrity must never be compromised.
23. I believe in forgiveness.
24. I believe in living a life of service while listening to others and putting them first.
25. I believe in simplicity and clarity.
26. I believe in taking care of myself physically, spiritually, and emotionally.
27. I believe in lifelong learning.
28. I believe I am responsible for my actions.
29. I believe in tithing, giving, and saving.
30. I believe in living an intentional life of significance.
31. I believe in being debt free.
32. I believe in developing and practicing good habits.
33. I believe in telling people I love them and saying thank you.
34. I believe in doing the “next right thing.”
35. I believe in accountability.
36. I believe in patience.
37. I believe in adding value to other people.
38. I believe people matter and investing in relationships is the right thing to do.
39. I believe words matter.
40. I believe I need to be flexible and willing to change as needed.
41. I believe in the power of goal setting.
42. I believe in the sanctity of life and that everyone has value.
43. I believe in dealing with reality.
44. I believe in doing what I say I’m going to do.
45. I believe in maximizing my time while being fully present with others.
46. I believe in having a mentor / coach to help me get better.
47. I believe I have total control of my attitude.
48. I believe I’m always just one bad decision away from doing irreparable damage to myself and others.
49. I believe it’s my choice to be a “victim” or a “victor” when adversity strikes.
50. I believe grace is easy to receive and difficult to deliver.
51. I believe you can’t have love without truth.
52. I believe struggle provides opportunity for growth.